King Kong 360 3-D at Universal Studios Hollywood

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

King Kong 360 3-D opens tomorrow July 1st, but I got a preview on Tuesday.
I didn't know what to expect really as far as how I would like or dislike it. You see I've been a fan of the old King Kong ever since I was a little girl. Something about driving through the burning city and meeting up with King Kong in your face at the end was exciting. It seemed pretty real to me as a kid, but as I got older it had its cheese factor, yet it still was a classic.

When a fire broke out at Universal Studios backlot two years ago, it was so heart breaking to hear King Kong was a part of all the destruction.
Fast forward to now, the backlot has been rebuilt and King Kong is back and badder than ever.

King Kong is part of the Studio Tram tour, and since I had my 15-month-old son along for the ride I was a little nervous about whether the big ape would be too scary for a little guy...but you know I had to find out.


Our tram crept up the hill towards the entrance, and a little anxiety kicked in for me.


Then our tram turned right and headed inside a dark cave. "Here we go," I thought to myself and I started to feel a little excited and scared at the same time. I put on my 3-D glasses, and two large-screens on both sides of tram lit up. Instantly we were in the middle of Skull Island. Dinosaurs surrounded us, and all of the sudden the big bad ape himself came towards us from the right side. The dinosaurs and King Kong were battling each other and our tram was rocking.

You need your 3-D glasses to see this blurry image in focus.

And here was the thing, yes we were watching a movie screen, but it was more than a movie screen. I really felt like I was there in the moment. I was no longer scared. I was excited and I was loving it!

There are some really great effects, but I hesitate to give too much detail only because it will be much more exciting for you on your first time riding.

Wow. WOW. We drove away, and I couldn't help but wanting more.

So how did my son do? He wasn't scared at all. I thought maybe he would cling on to me with fear, but he never did. He sat there and watched with us.

The new King Kong is great, and now I'm not finding myself missing the old one. In fact I might be driving back to Universal again this week. I am just dying to see Kong again…and again.

1 comment:

ME said...

oh how cool, i haven't been to Universal in sooo long...i was a little girl and don't even remember..I really want to go but with my two kids i don't think is such a cute idea, but i see that ur little one did good maybe I will consider..