Magical Blogorail Green - Least Favorite Disney Attraction

Friday, April 22, 2011


Welcome to those of you joining me from Your Highway in the Sky, and those of you who have just hopped aboard.  I am the third stop on our Magical Blogorail.

This month's topic is about our least favorite Disney attraction. I really struggled with this topic. I ran the list of rides through my head several times, realizing that I actually really like all the rides. I have fun with the "kiddie" rides, I love the roller coasters, enjoy the water rides,  and everything in-between.  There used to be a ride at Disney California Adventure that I didn't like, but it has since been removed. I have been puzzled over what to write about, so I talked to my husband about the topic. He came up with an attraction right away, but I didn't have any dislike for it. I talked to my Mom, and she could tell me a ride right away too, again no problem or dislike with her least favorite also. 
When I say I struggled with this topic, I really mean it. I would lay in bed thinking about all the rides at both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, and I would come up with nothing! 
Then the other day I sat down with a guide map with my son.  He likes to point out the different spots to me, and then I saw it right there on the map.... my least favorite attraction...

Chip 'N Dale Tree House.
I know it may come as a weird attraction to write about, but here are my reasons why it's my least favorite. 
I really dislike how half of it is closed off and has been looking sad for way too many years. I remember when it first opened, this area below was filled with balls for kids to jump in. I have heard that the reason they closed it was because kids were peeing in there. I don't know if there is any truth to that, but I can see how that could be a problem. 
But I do wish they would have replaced it with something fun to do in there instead of a piece of netting to not allow anyone in. There has to be something that could go in there even for toddlers.
Then there is the entrance to the tree house with a spiral staircase that leads to the top. Once you reach the top, there is a fake door and stairs back down on the other side. Again, back when I was younger there was a slide that went down.  That was part of the attraction to playing in the tree house. What kid doesn't like going down a slide from a tree house? 

This little corner in Mickey's Toontown used to be so much fun. Now I like to avoid it just because I don't enjoy trying to squeeze through the small spiral staircase only to make sure my little one doesn't go running out the back and down the bigger stairs. That slide is really missed. 
Perhaps in another year, I won't avoid it as much, when I won't have to worry about my two year old going up and down the stairs alone. We are still at that clumsy stage. ;)
The tree house itself is beautiful though...

Thank you for joining me today.  Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is Adventures of a Disney Princess.
  
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail Loop should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:

11 comments:

Heidi said...

Interesting. I've never been to Disneyland, but I can see how the parts of this attraction that they've closed would be disappointing. I'm not a personal fan of ball pits, but I would think Disney could have thought of something fun to replace the balls with!

Deb @ Focused on the Magic said...

That's disappointing. Sounds like the Imaginears lost there imagination on that attraction. Too bad, it looks from the outside like it could've been a lot of fun for little ones. Pee in the ball pit..eeeuuuw!

Hedy @ WDW Not Just for Kids said...

Wow, that's kind of creepy looking...

Jackie said...

Thats weird they just leave it closed off..I have not seen Disney do that before. They need to do something with it though because it makes for beautiful pictures!

Mikey said...

I've not been to Disneyland (yet!), but I've got the idea from your writing that I would probably not care for it much either. It's sad in a way because it sounds like this attraction has been kind of forgotten about by the imagineers. I would think one of two things would happen, either they would replace the part that they closed down with something else, or they would close it down completely and put something else in it's place. As it stands now, it sounds half-finished, which isn't they way Disney does things, is it?

Beth Doda ~ disneymom2jhe said...

This looks like a place that could have so much potential for kids to have an opportunity to just play, but it definitely looks like it misses the mark on that! Like you I owuld be so worried about my little ones making it to the top and slipping down the stairs. And, as for the ball pit and why it may be closed off . . . ewww! :-) But it makes perfect sense!

Unknown said...

What a great post! I really appreciated the thought and explanation that went into that. I've never seen the attraction, but you convinced me. It's something that could be made far better!

Erica Freeman said...

That's too bad. I hate how they just seemed to give up on both Toontowns. Over here, they knew most of it was going to be torn down so it was really sad to see the peeling paint, faded signs and chipped places.

Toontown could have so much potential. I love all the references and punny humor. I'm not sure how much is being saved to incorporate into the new Fantasyland. Plus, you guys actually have Disney Afternoon references like a whole ride for Gadget!

Plus, sometimes people seem to forget how important it is to have stuff for younger kids especially water areas where they can play with it and get some relief from the heat. With Donald's Daisy being closed, Magic Kingdom only has the spitting camel and the spitting totems which means if you aren't in Adventureland, you're totally out of luck.

Bruce A. Brodsky said...

I think you've done a good job explaining your rationale - and I did love the photo spread.

Tink *~*~* said...

It's sort of a "nothing" attraction without the slide, isn't it? They would be better off calling it "Chip And Dale's Flights Of Stairs" - it would be accurate, at least!

Tink *~*~*
Upcoming Adventures: Flowers, Festivals, Walt and Wizards

Manda said...

"Chip And Dale's Flights Of Stairs"! lol! That made me laugh! :P It's a shame this has been neglected ... it looks like it would have been awesome when it had a slide!