John Lasseter Announcement in Search of Jungle Cruise Photo from 1977-78 at D23 Expo

Thursday, August 25, 2011

During the "Radiator Springs Reality: Imagineering Cars Land for Disney California Adventure" panel at the D23 Expo, John Lasseter announced a contest called John of the Jungle.

“I was a Jungle Cruise skipper. It changed my life, and I mean it. It taught me about comic timing. It was one of the most fun things I’ve ever done. You know, I would still be a Jungle Cruise skipper if I didn’t get hired as an animator at Disney because I just absolutely loved it. In the 50th anniversary of Disneyland I was able to go and don my skipper outfit again. I have this great picture of me in 2005 at the 50th, it was so, so, special to me", said Lasseter. 

John Lasseter went on about having a conversation at home with his sons about how much being a skipper at the Jungle Cruise meant to him. He told them he was going to get to put his jungle cruise skipper outfit back on, with his son questioning "It still fits?" "No, it's a different one", replied  John with laughter throughout the room. 

“The problem I have, is that I don’t have a picture of me in 1977 and 1978 when I was a Jungle Cruise skipper. So today we’re announcing a contest", said John Lasseter. 
"This is very, very, special and very, very, important to me because this is such an important part of my life and I don’t have a record of it. I remember a lot of people taking pictures of me. So we are announcing a contest for you to dig through your old pictures and find a picture of me from 1977 or 1978 of me as a Jungle Cruise skipper. To be specific, I was trained in Thanksgiving of 1977. I worked Christmas, the holiday season of ’77. I worked Easter of ’78, grad nights of ’78, and part way through the summer of 1978, so it was really kind of a nine-month period.”

Lasseter gave a warning, “Now, Pixar invented digital compositing. We know a fake when we see it.”

“If someone out there sends one in, and it really is a picture of me as a Jungle Cruise skipper, they get to come to the opening of Cars Land as our guest. It’s going to be really, really, as a VIP guest.”

See video to hear John Lasseter announce the contest and how much the Jungle Cruise meant to him. 
Visit www.johnofthejungle.com for more details. 

No comments: