Most Missed Attraction at Disneyland

Friday, August 26, 2011



Welcome to those of you joining me from Your Highway in the Sky and those of you just hopping aboard. I am the 2nd stop on our Magical Blogorail.

Today we are talking about attractions we most miss. This was an easy one for me as I think about it every time I go into Tomorrowland... The PeopleMover. 
Although I do miss the Skyway, the PeopleMover is the one attraction I want back at Disneyland more then anything else.

Each time I enter Tomorrowland I am reminded of the PeopleMover with it's track above the pathways of the land. 
 It was the one attraction that not only could you relax for 15 minutes, but also go all through Tomorrowland while passing Star Traders, Space Mountain, and cruising above the Autopia cars. 
Entering the Grid
When it was open, there was a portion that had you going through the grid of the original Tron. 
At night it was magical to go through and see the glow of the park around. 
The Rocket Rods replaced the PeopleMover in 1998, three years after the PeopleMover closed, with the Rocket Rods only lasting two years. For the last 11 years those tracks have sat unused. 

Thanks to Dennis Brown from www.dennisbrown360.com for giving me permission to use three photos of the PeopleMover in WDW. 
When I make it back to WDW, the PeopleMover will be one of the first rides I go on. 

Thank you for joining me today. Your next stop on the Magical Blogorail Loop is Adventures of a Disney Princess.
Here is the map of our Magical Blogorail should you happen to have to make a stop along the way and want to reboard:

1st Stop ~ Your Highway in the Sky

8 comments:

Heidi said...

We like the People Mover too - I can see why you miss it!

The World of Deej said...

One of the biggest disappointments of our first DL trip a few years ago was the lack of PeopleMover. I had no idea it had closed. If the same ever happens at WDW, it would be be a huge bummer...

Monica said...

I LOVED the People Mover too! I can still remember the sound going through the grid of Tron. And I remember going on it soon after Space Mountain opened - I was SCARED to death thinking that we were somehow going to end up riding Space Mountain!

I just loved viewing everything from up above. Great Flashback Friday post, Sarah!

Monica said...

Oops...I thought I was reading your Flashback post! Still, a great post!

Beth Doda ~ disneymom2jhe said...

This is one of my favorite attractions at Walt Disney World. I had no idea that the tracks were just sitting empty at Disneyland! How sad and what a tease for its former fans!

Michele P said...

Yes, I miss the People Mover too! I never got to experience the one that lasted only 2 years though. My husband's most missed ride is the cable cars (or whatever they were called). They went over Disneyland in the sky on cables.

Hedy @ WDW Not Just for Kids said...

I was so boggled by a People-moverless Tomorrowland in Disney land :)

'neice said...

I miss it a lot! My grandma is still alive, but I have great memories of riding it with her! Remember the superspeed tunnel? That was before Tron!